There are many recipes of Bolu Kukus, a traditional Indonesian steamed cupcakes out there. This particular recipe doesn’t require eggs nor soda water and no electric mixer needed. Many finds Bolu Kukus is a tricky to make. Therefore I would strongly recommend this recipe to get the fluffy texture plus to get the Bolu Kukus crack on top. Or as they call it the Bolu Kukus must “smile” 🙂
1/2 teaspoon salt
250 gr cake flour
150 gr sugar
250 ml water or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoon chocolate powder
100 ml oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Shift all the dry ingredients together except for salt.
- Rest the dry ingredients mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to the dry mixture.
- Mix together all the liquid ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Make 3 holes in the dry mixture.
- Fill the 3 holes with liquid mixture.
- Preheat your steamers.
- Mix well with a spatula. Do not mix too long though otherwise it will result with too dense texture.
- Prepare the special steamed cupcakes molds (see first pic) or use individual cupcake tins or foil tins or a ramekin with cupcakes papers.
- Fill each tins with the mixture to the top.
- When the steamers is ready, place the cupcakes tins. The water in the steamer needs to be boiling. It may need to be in two batches.
- Steam each batch around 15-20 mins.
- Place a towel between the steamer pot and the lid to prevent the steams drop to the batters.
- Do not open the steamer lid before 15-20 mins.